Tuesday, January 09, 2007

POV Taiwan Trip Day 1 ~ 28 Dec 06

28 Dec 2006

Woke up early in the morning at 7am because I haven started packing my luggage yet!! My plane takes off at 1pm and im meeting ZY, YL, Rebec, n Bob at 11 at the airport which means I have to leave home by 10.30 and I only have 3 hrs to pack and wash up and all.


So I started packing, rolled all the clothes into different zip lock bags and shrink wrapped them. When I showed max my master pieces, he exclaimed: wah u army trained one ah. Keke. Net came to fetch me at 10.30. I bid everyone good bye and left for the airport. We were the first to reach the airport and while waiting for the rest to arrive, I realised that I left my cosmetic pouch at home. :( was in 2 minds about going back to take my pouch and he offered to go back my place to get my pouch for me while I stay at the airport with ZY n gang. So the 5 of us went ajisen ramen and met Jez who went to send us off with 大大 and 小小.


At 12.40, we boarded the plane. Our seats were scattered. I was sitting in the middle of 2 uncles. :s so I listened to my nano and slowly drift to lala land. Just when I was soundly asleep, someone tapped my shoulder. I opened my eyes and the guy on my left motioned to me that my lunch is served. 1 good thing about being vegetarian is that they always serve vegetarian meals first. But the bad thing is that their vegetarian meal sucks big time. The main course was 2 pieces steamed white kwey (which looks like chai tau kwey before it was cut into small pieces to 炒) and some gravy topped with mushrooms. I only took 2 bites. Yuck, its really that bad. Luckily I ate some light bites before I board the plane.


Started making small talk to the uncle beside me. He was a taiwanese, came to singapore for2 days for work and was on the way back to his home. Initially I thought he was a sinagporean and he thought i was a taiwanese. Haha. And so I made a new friend on the plane. :)


At about 5.30, we reached tai pei. But the skies looked as though a 8pm sky in singapore. I was told that the nights are longer in taiwan during this period of time. We went to collect our luggage and checked out and there Richie was waiting for us at the airport with GL and HJ. :) and together, we went to T1 to wait for Nick and gang. We waited for an hour plus and during that time, Rich gave us a preview of what we should expect from the next 2 days of course.


Nick and the rest arrived at about 7.30 and we waited for the bus to send us to Xin Zhu. The moment we stepped out of the airport, it was freeeezing cold. The wind was very strong. I had to take out my gloves to keep my hands warm. Took an hour’s ride to Xin Zhu and when we reached there, it was even colder!! The wind was blowing even stronger and chillier!! We reached the hotel, checked in our rooms (ZY, Rebec, YL and 1 shared a room), changed into something warmer and went to look for makan.

in the bus on the way to xin zhu


Met Rich at the 豆浆油条 store beside our hotel. Drinking hot 豆浆 on a cold night especially when we are all freezing is damn shiok!! And the carrot cake was damn nice too!! 7 of us ate 7 plates of carrot cakes in total!! Not to mention their 油条烧饼. When dipped in the豆浆, its the perfect combi. 1000 times nicer than the豆浆油条 in singapore.


i miss the carrot cake already...


After filling our stomachs, we went strolling around the streets of Xin Zhu. The good thing about the weather is we can walk and walk and not feel sweaty and sticky. As it was late at night already, most of the shops are closed already. But we still have fun exploring the place, looking at the colourful signboards. Even their 7-11 stores are so much more interesting than the ones in singapore.


By the time we were back at the hotel, its almost 2am. We quickly prepared for bed, as the next day we have to wake up early for the course. ZY and Rebec shared a bed while YL and me shared the other. The moment I lie down on the bed I slept all the way till the next morning. Usually I have troubles sleeping when im in a new environment but that night I slept like a baby. I guess I must really be tired. :)

No comments: