Wednesday, January 10, 2007

street directory

Sometime ago, I was in Net’s car and we were heading to Panasonic building to get my camera fixed. As the driver dunno the way very well, he asked me to help him find the place in the street directory. I think by now it is quite a known fact to all that I cannot read maps very well. So I found the place, showed it to the driver and he said that he knows where the place is already. I heave a sigh of relieve till he added: if there are no changes to the roads. :s


So I asked him: why would there be any changes to the roads? And he said that cos his street directory is out dated. And indeed, it is a few years outdated le. No wonder the damn book is so tattered and torn. Keke. Anyway, as it was nearing xmas at that time, an ingenious idea struck me!! So pleased with myself for being so smart, I excitedly told net: since ur street directory is already outdated, why don't I get you the latest version as your xmas present? And the moment I said this, his face change shape started rejecting my very kind offer vehemently, saying I very bo sim la, this and that la to actually wanna buy him a street directory for xmas.


Seriously I don't understand what is wrong with a street directory as a present. At least it is something useable right?? So I decided to test on another driver, MAX.


me: (very excitedly) Max!! I know what to get you for xmas already!! Its the perfect gift!! Im so glad I thought of it!!
max: (eyes glowing with excitement) what is it??
me: haha. You are going to love it.
max: really?? What is it?? Tell me.
me: im going to get you (pause for dramatic effects) ..... .... .... .... .... .... ... ... STREET DIRECTORY 2007!!
max: WAH LAU EH!!!! You not serious right?
me: im very serious!! I think its a good gift!!

And he showed me the international signal, kun tao bu with the dancing finger (with music some more hor).


Then he started KB-ing that its a bad idea for a gift, nobody will give people street directories for xmas and blah blah blah. But I still don't get it what is wrong with street directory!! During xmas we always receive not very useful presents that looks pretty but of not much usage. Rather then getting something that is not of much use, y not get something that they can use when they need it? So I asked max:

Me: would u rather a not practical gift that you probably wont use and dump one side till it grow moulds or would you rather receive a gift that is unromantic but practical (aka street directory)
max: then first choice
me: WHY??
max: because nobody likes street directories and nobody gives street directory as present!! Its so bo sim lor, blah blah blah...


I told sis about it and she told me its the male ego problem. Cos by giving them street directory, it is indirectly telling them that they have no sense of direction and we all know that man NEVER ask for directions even when they are lost.


So in the end, of cos I didn't get them the street directory lah. Keke. Then few days back, I was telling Net about Max’s reaction when I told him I wanna get him the street directory as xmas present. And till now I still don't understand why he would rather choose a white elephant gift to a street directory. And then Net softly said: its our ego lah. So there. Man and their stoopid ego. :p

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Next xmas, i will buy you a dummy doll, when you need somebody to talk to, talk to the doll! The doll will be a damn good listener! :)

Anonymous said...

dun wan... i want someone that can talk back... the conversation must flow u know??

Choonbee said...

For the ego problem, that's quite true. I find that MOST men (not all) like to go round in circles and lose their way instead of consulting a street directory!

Anonymous said...

yap yap...

and i dun understand y... what so diff to open their mouth and ASK?? keke...