Tuesday, April 10, 2007

job interview

Just back to office from an interview.


The company is located in an industrial park in the east, which is near my home (cab fare from my home is only $5!!). But I don't like industrial estates because the people there tend to be more rowdy and sometimes I don't feel comfortable.


And because the damn industrial park is very big, I had a good 15 mins walk under the scorching hot sun (in formal biz wear... Coat and skirt and heels) before I finally found the place. :s Anyway, it has been some time since I went for the interview and like I said in the yesterday’s post, I wasn't prepared for the interview. No, I didn't read up on the company or anything. I just bought myself and my master of persuasion and sales skills (why sales skills when im applying for the position of a purchaser? cause an interview is the chance to sell yourself to the interviewer mah). Anyway the first question that the interviewer (IV) asked me caught me by surprise.

IV: did you bring your credentials?
me: yes, I did. Here it is (takes folder out and present to the interviewer)
IV: (flipping through my results transcripts) throughout your course of study, which subjects did you enjoy most?
me: wow... I need some time to recap what subjects I took cause it has been quite some time (stress... thinking very very hard what subjects I had studied before and what are the subjects that I have done well, which, sad to say, isnt a lot. I cant say I like thermodynamics or fluid mechanics and then the results on my transcripts show a D right..) I would prefer subjects that are has lab work and workshops because I am not they type that like to memorise notes.
IV: so you prefer to be more hands on lah?
Me: yes.

**

IV: why do you want to leave your current job?
me: (the truth: because the pay sucks and the working environment sucks) because I have been there for a few years and things are getting stagnant, and I think with my experience, I want to move on to a place where I can be a decision maker, and decide on what to purchase.

**

IV: do you intend to further studies?
me: nope
IV (a little surprised): why not?
me: (the truth: because I don't intend to be an employee all my life, and schools only teach people how to be an employee, and not a boss.) well I have thought of getting a degree before but after considering the amount of money and time spend, and the returns I will get, I don't think its a worthy investment. Example, I ever thought of getting a degree in supply chain management and I at least have to spend 20K on the course fees. By the time I graduate, which is about 2-3 years later, if I were to compare myself with someone without a degree, who has the about the same working experience as me, if we were both to apply for the same job and I were to ask for a much higher pay than her because I have the degree, I don't think I stand a good chance. So I think its not worth the investment. I rather go attend short courses and self improvement courses.


IV: do you have any questions?
me: (are there any vegetarian eateries around here?) how many projects does your company get in a year?
(do you have to do OT? What are the working hrs like? How much was your last year bonus??) how big is the procurement team?

**

And so that sort of ends my interview. If I am short listed, I will be required to go down for a 2nd interview. I don't know if i should ask u guys to wish me luck cos i really don't like the location. very inconvenient to go places from there. Maybe you guys can wish me luck that they will wanna employ me and offer me 50% more of what i asked for.

Oh ya, the 2 interviewers that interviews me are quite young (at most early 30s) and not too bad looking. keke. =p

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

get a job @ city hall..haha...
the area u went jus now bery ulu if u wanna work OT..dun think got nice vegeterian food ard that area also..n many bangalas there 1 lor...hahhaha

Anonymous said...

get a job @ city hall..haha...
the area u went jus now bery ulu if u wanna work OT..dun think got nice vegeterian food ard that area also..n many bangalas there 1 lor...hahhaha

Clatzz said...

yeah i also want... shall use the power of "the secret"

haha :)